Advisor of the deputy vice chancellor
Outstanding experience in policy building in politics as well as in research:
• member of staff of Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR) and the Flemish Council for Science and Innovation (VRWI) (1988-1994)
• Head of the Ghent University Research Office (1995-2004), besides research policy and valorisation, she has coordinated a research project on the PhD researchers’ careers and gender aspects in scientific and academic careers.
• part time the Advisor Science Policy for several Flemish Vice-Minister-Presidents.
In 2010: Deputy Head of Cabinet for Science and Innovation Policy at the Cabinet of the Flemish Vice-Minister-President and Flemish Minister for Innovation, Public Investment, Media and Poverty Reduction.
• 2004-2012: Director Technology Transfer & Business Development at IBBT (Interdisciplinary Institute for Broadband Technology, now part of IMEC)
• From 2013 onwards: Advisor Science Policy to the vice-rector of Ghent University, responsible for strategic goal of stimulating societal valorisation of scientific results.
The topics of particular interest and research efforts of Marie Claire Van de Velde are innovative educational approaches (differentiation according to personality), societal engagement of the university, stimulating STEM and gender equality issues in education and academia.